What Should You Do If Your Dog Has Consumed a Poison?

Canines can surely get themselves into a lot of trouble, and this is one reason why emergency vets and 24-hour animal hospitals are available to provide care. One definite problem that can lead to one of these emergency visits is when your canine eats something that is poisonous. Toxic substances can be found both inside and outside the home, and there are a few things you should do as soon as possible if you think a toxin has been consumed.

Identify the Poison

It is extremely important to identify the poison as soon as possible. Basically, once your canine starts to experience the symptoms of poison ingestion, you want to look around and think of the places where your canine has traveled. Some of these symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, lethargy, poor appetite, heart palpitations, and bleeding from the nose or the rectum. 

You should understand that certain poisonous compounds and toxic substances can cause immediate reactions. However, others can take three days or more to create the full onslaught of typical symptoms. So, keep this in mind when you are looking for the poison.

Finding the poisonous substance is important so that your vet can supply the best treatment possible in a quick manner. For example, if a fast-acting poison has been consumed, then inducing vomiting may be the best option for treatment. However, this can be dangerous if a corrosive agent has been consumed. In fact, if your dog vomits after eating a battery, leaking acid from the battery will often cause severe esophageal burns.

Keep in mind that while it is important to identify the poison, seeking immediate care is also necessary. So, if you cannot find the toxic substance within several minutes, take your dog to the vet.

Bring a Sample

If you are able to identify the poison, then it is wise to bring a sample of it with you. Some people will panic and identify something without knowing the specifics about the item. For example, stating that your dog has consumed a cleaning agent is not enough to help a veterinarian. The product may contain a toxin such as bleach or ammonia, or neither of these ingredients. 

When bringing your sample, make sure it is stored away from your dog so he does not consume more of the poison on your trip to the emergency vet.

If you want to know more about canine emergencies and what to do if your dog is poisoned, speak with a veterinarian.